Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My first adult novel BRIGHTWING is out!


I'm thrilled to announce that BRIGHTWING, my first self-published book – and my first novel for adults – has hit the virtual shelves! Right now it is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Soon it will be available on other platforms, and also in hard copy. I'm using the pseudonym Sullivan Lee.

For the first few months I'll be pricing it at 99-cents. I'm thinking of it as the ARC period, so everyone who might want to read or review it can get a copy practically free. And, much as I'd like you to buy BRIGHTWING, I'm more than happy to give you a free e-copy if you write reviews. (Pro, semi-pro, just an occasional Amazon or Goodreads reviewer... or even if you just like to talk about books!) Drop me a line at lauraleesullivan ((at)) hotmail <<dot>> com, tell me where you review, and I'll send you a copy.

Since I try to keep this blog around the YA level, content-wise (though honestly, my YA has about as much sex and violence as BRIGHTWING, though more subtly written) I'll be starting a separate off-shoot blog for more adult discussions relating to my Sullivan Lee work.

I'm so excited about this new venture! I'm so lucky to be living in a time when I can have the best of all publishing worlds. I'm not about to turn my back on traditional publishing, but I love knowing I have another outlet for books that I am passionate about but which are, for various reasons, hard to place.

Please give BRIGHTWING a try! I hope you enjoy it!
Here's a summary:

 
Brightwing
A Criminal Love Story
Edgar and Mallory Battle are on the run after a spectacularly violent escape. Now, with a trail of bodies behind them, they need a hostage against the inevitable standoff with the police. Their first doesn’t last long, thanks to sociopathic Mallory. Edgar has been hiding his brother's crimes since they were kids. Now he’s torn between loyalty and self-preservation.

They carjack Lucy Brightwing, a criminal fresh from her own heist, with a fortune of uncut gems hidden in her vehicle. She could escape – but she won’t abandon her millions. She could kill the Battle brothers, but she has to be careful. For one thing, if the law investigates, they’ll find her ill-gotten loot. For another, her own life is sacred. She’s the last member of a Florida paleoindian tribe thought to be extinct – the Tequesta. With her share of the money she plans to buy, bribe and blackmail her way into her own ancestral tribal lands in the heart of the Everglades, a Tequesta nation.

Lucy leads them into her beloved swamp, determined to kill them. But when she falls for Edgar she must decide whether to risk her heritage and the future of her tribe to save the doomed brothers.

XO
Laura

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

great cover. Sounds like a cool story.

DLSarmywife said...

I just bought it for my Kindle and am looking forward to reading it! =D

Laura L. Sullivan said...

Hooray! Please let me know how you like it!
And thanks, Charles -- I'm pretty fond of the cover myself!

Unknown said...

It sounds so exciting. can't wait to read it. Thanks for the email Laura.

Cheryl said...

I am looking forward to reading and reviewing your book! I'm following your blog!

Kelly Hashway said...

Congratulations! I hope the book does really well for you. And I like the way you are introducing it at a lower price to allow people to review it for you. Smart thinking. Good luck!

DLSarmywife said...

I read Brightwing in 2 days! It was incredibly well written and definitely drew me in. Your descriptions on everything from the landscape to the history of the Tequesta people is fantastic. I cried at the one part where it looked like the story ended. (don't wanna give any spoilers, but I'm betting you know which part) I cried again when the plot thickened. My only negative thing I can say is well I'm a HEA kind of girl and well life doesn't work that way and your story is I think written more true to life. Which I DID like, it's just an oddity to me. BUT that is not a bad thing, even though it left me wondering, I look forward to reading more of your work. (oh and this is just the English major in me, but there were a few typos too! ;-D) On the whole I was very happy with Brightwing! =D

Laura L. Sullivan said...

It will never, ever, EVER stop being the most wonderful feeling in the world to know that people actually read what I write! I'm so happy you liked it! I'm so glad you cried!

As for the ending... well, I'd like to have a sequel. I'm still playing with a few ideas, but I'm pretty sure the title will be Swamp Bordello. So some more things will definitely happen with their relationship!

Sorry about the typos. Were there too many? I'm an English major too, and to make matters worse, a former newspaper editor (yeah, took me a while to settle on one job.) I've been through that manuscript with a fine-toothed comb SO many times, and had another editor go through too. Darn it! Do you remember what they were? I feel a little better because I found a serious typo in the New Yorker a couple of weeks ago, and if they can do it...

Thank you so much for reading Brightwing!

DLSarmywife said...

Heck I know exactly what you mean about the wonderful feeling when someone appreciates what you write or make!

Swamp Bordello...luv it! lol I look forward to a sequel whenever it is finished.

There were only a couple typos and I will have to read over the book again to find them. Maybe only 2 or three. And yup even the New Yorker makes mistakes. (I've seen plenty in other authors books as well! ;-D)